Thursday, July 13, 2006

Pardon me while I step up on my soapbox...

Someone told me yesterday, “You just have it all, don’t you? Good kids, a good marriage, a good job, enough money to get the things you want. You are so lucky.”

My dear friends, yes – there have been instances of “luck” along the way, but I also believe that you put yourselves in situations where luck is more likely to happen. Here are some tips of things to do/not do to be successful. And this is totally my opinion, I’m no expert.

**sidenote before you get started…I don’t consider myself a goody two shoes, so I’m definitely not doing this as a “preachy” thing.

  1. If I look your name up on the “online court” system and find your name more than 4-5 times, you are doing it wrong. And if these listing are more than just for everyday traffic violations, then you are REALLY doing it wrong. Go ahead, look me up if you are lucky enough to know my name. You will not find me.
  2. Education. Not having any money is not an excuse, because an education can come in various forms. Your library has books and resources that are available to you for FREE! You can learn about anything there, such as HTML, Microsoft Office, jewelry making, gardening, politics, and investing. If you want to learn it, there is a way to do it for free. And if it requires a degree, there are grants and low-interest loans to get you going. It is my firm belief that we must never stop learning.
  3. Surround yourself with the right people. I’ve got an excellent support system around me. I love my family dearly. And I have a group of friends who I LOVE and we do things together all the time. My family and my friends totally define who I am and what kind of life I have.
  4. When you make a decision, base it on what YOU think is right. Do not make it based on what you think others want you to do.
  5. If you are not making enough money to pay the bills, you need to do a little brainstorming. If you are already working, maybe you need to re-evaluate your job. Are you making what you are worth? Could you learn something (see # 3 above) which would allow you to get a different job? Could you start up your own business to pull in a little extra money on the side?
  6. Get involved. Some introverts may disagree with me here. But if you are going to sit in your house all the time and not experience anything, how can that be satisfying? Life is happening all around you – get out there and enjoy it.
  7. Get your priorities straight. This one really drives me crazy. If you can't afford to put gas in the car, you probably don't need to continue with that home remodeling project you've been working on for a year. You can't afford to register your kids for school but that golf cart sure comes in handy for your golf tournament play.

I'm really not a preachy know-it-all. I just play one on Blogger.