Thursday, October 19, 2006

"The Call"

Never before have I gotten “the call”. I’ve always been terrified to get “the call” because I wasn’t quite sure how I would react. Today it came.

“Green3, I just got a call from the Clive police. Your mom had a seizure while shopping and has been taken by ambulance to the hospital.”

Ummm….ok.

Now my mom is not someone who you would expect to have a seizure while deciding what shopping for a new light bulb for her makeup mirror. In fact, when I called DH to let him know, his reply was, “YOUR mom?” See, she works out every single day, watches what she eats, doesn’t smoke, and only drinks wine a couple times a week. My mother just doesn’t have seizures in Menards. But apparently I was wrong.

So I grabbed my dad - I work with him - and we hauled ass to Des Moines. (Darn near beat the ambulance there, thank you very much.) Besides an awesome gash to the head and some very low blood pressure, she’s fine.

On my way home, I realized I was more shaken that I probably appeared to be at the hospital. I stopped at Target, made a few phone calls from the parking lot, and then realized I just wasn’t in the mood to shop. Sorry, Mom, I know you are disappointed. So I headed for home.

On my way home, I realized how very lucky we were today. Once we get her home tomorrow, things will be pretty much back to normal. But what about the families who haul ass down to the hospital only to be told they were too late? The thought makes me shudder.

There was some humor today. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll feel like laughing about it a little bit more and can share some of that with you.

I love you mom. I am so glad that you are ok.