Monday, November 06, 2006

Goals and Dreams

Quote of the Day:

I can accept failure. I cannot accept not trying.

I’ve got pretty big goals and dreams for my family. My husband is aware of all the things I’ve got drummed up. He’s ok with them. Ok, so maybe I’m dragging him kicking and screaming along for the ride. My goals are ambitious. My goals will take money and resources. And we’ll have to work our rear ends off to get the amount of money and resources we will need. But you can’t have ambitious goals and dreams and sit on the couch at the same time. That math doesn’t work.

Rewind a few years ago. We used to just fumble along, day by day, going through the normal routine of family life. I really didn’t know what our future held, and didn’t really much care. I just knew that we were happy and had enough resources to live comfortably. Things were good. But when I hit 30, I realized that I want much more out of life. So I started to make a mental list of the things I felt we, as a family, needed to do. In general, the things on my list were to make a difference in the world – even if only in my small town – and to be financially secure. Not unique goals, you say? Maybe not, but they are ours. And we are actively doing something about them.

Hubby and I work hard. We have multiple things on our plates at all times. But are reaching our goals. We are excited about our future because we have fun and exciting goals and plans. Some of our goals can make us a bit nervous and we sometimes wonder if we have what it takes to reach them. But I can accept failure. I cannot accept not trying.