Saturday, November 25, 2006

School Board Update!

I know some of you were following my school board election this fall, so I’ll give you a little update on how things are going so far.

I placed my first “nay” vote at the last meeting. I stood my ground and argued my point for 30 minutes, to no avail. The item passed 3-2 which was a total bummer, but at least my “nay” vote is on record for if – I mean WHEN – this decision backfires and people are screamin at the board.

I never thought I would say this but I LOVE LOVE LOVE being on the board. No, neighbor Tom, not because I love the power it gives me. Well, ok that kinda rocks, but I really feel like I’m going to make a difference to the district. I have a ton of ideas that I’m sure the board will be “on board” with. Most of my ideas involve saving money while increasing our services. How can they disagree with that?

My husband is on the city council. My god, who the hell do we think we are? Anyhoo, the one thing we’ve noticed is that people expect you to be available to them at all hours of the day. Got an issue? Oh, by all means interrupt our football game in the yard with our two sons FOR AN HOUR to tell me all about your problems. And calling me at 7:00AM – totally ok. Same for calling me at 10:30PM – that’s sweet.

Our board members really do have a good relationship with each other. And also with the school administration. I’ve heard horror stories, so I’m very thankful to be in the position I’m in.

Technology is a major thorn in my side. OUCH, there it goes again! And our school is a Mac school. What the hell can you do with one mouse button? And is anyone aware that only 5% of the population uses those things in the real world? If you are a Mac fan, fine – just don’t bother me with the details. I make a pretty good wage thank to Bill Gates.

A school board convention may sound totally boring, but I thought it was awesome. I guess that means I’m holding the right public office?

I move to end this blog entry.
Green3? YES
Blog adjourned.