Tuesday, August 07, 2007

14 Years - Yowsa!

As of 7:30 tonight, Pool Boy and I will have been married for 14 years! It’s been a fun journey, so let’s take a look back at 14 things that have happened to us since August 7, 1993.

1. Soon after we got married, Pool Boy got his first teaching job for $14,000. We thought we were loaded so we went out and bought a brand new car (our ONLY brand new car ever) for $12,000. We saw nothing wrong with that purchase.

2. We lived in a mobile home when we were first married. I had some home décor that included those skinny candles. When we got back from our honeymoon, it had gotten so hot in our mobile home the candles had melted.

3. Instead of joining bank accounts when we got married, I just closed mine and added my name to his. I had approximately $3.42 to contribute.

4. Pool Boy was a big time saver and had tons of money. I was a big time spender and had no money, except for the $3.42 mentioned above. That has now flip flopped, in terms of spending. Now he’s the spender and I’m the saver.

5. Pool Boy was a total neat freak. Everything had its place and it HAD to be in that place or else total meltdown would ensue. I was a slob and hated anything that had to do with cleaning and organization. Pool Boy is no longer a neat freak, and I’m not quite a much of a slob as I used to be.

6. We both knew 2 kids were perfect for us.

7. We have started one business from scratch and sold it to a competitor a few years later. It was hard work, but we are glad we went through that experience.

8. We purchased another business and continue to operate that today.

9. Our honeymoon was a cruise to the Bahamas.

10. We have both run for public office and won. This was NEVER on my to-do list of life!

11. We have owned a mini-van. It was a nice one, but it was a mini-van.

12. We were in a car accident that claimed the life of someone in the other car.

13. We have lived in only two towns in our married life.

14. We bought our home before we had kids. It was the best thing we’ve ever done, financially.

15. We have fun together and we love each other. How much more could you ask for?