Wednesday, January 16, 2008

How Gazelle Intense Am I?

I’ve read a few blogs lately that have discussed how gazelle intense people are in attacking their debt. While I’m a huge fan of Dave Ramsey and think what he does for people is absolutely amazing, I have to admit I’m not following his steps exactly. Here are a few areas where I’m breaking the “rules”:

Retirement
Dave says that if you are able to clean up your non-mortgage debt within 2 years, to halt all retirement contributions until you are to that point. Pool Boy and I are still funding our retirement plan, as well as an additional amount taken out of PB’s paycheck each month.

$1000 Emergency Fund
We have a substantial cash balance in our savings. I know, I know, I should use that money to pay off my car and then attack the HELOC, but people – PEOPLE – I still have to live with my husband. He’d be a complete mess if we only had $1000 in our bank account. Granted, we’ve never had to touch this savings account since we started focusing on our finances – but still. I’ve even given him the option that we go ahead and use some of the money to pay off my car and put some toward the heloc, and then if he didn’t like it a few months down the road we could go get another loan to put the cash back into our savings. “I’m not getting another loan!” he declared. That’s exactly my point, dear.

Envelopes
Nope, still not using them. I have my “virtual” envelopes but I’m aware that’s not the point of them. I even have Dave’s fancy envelope system.

For Ramsey followers, are you breaking any “rules”?

Another installment of “1001 Things Every Teen Should Know Before They Leave Home”:


966. They should know that instead of going to their parents for money, they should work things out. Or do without.

NoFatBlawgers - I need your totals!