Monday, February 18, 2008

It's The Little Things

I’m writing this paragraph last. I thought it would be helpful to share what we have cut back on in order to gather up more cash to work off the debt. Yet, when I tried to think of what we cut back on, I found it difficult to come up with a list. That’s great news because what we originally thought we could not do without, now we aren’t even really missing. So here’s the list of things I was able to come up with. I’m sure I’m missing some, and I’m sure you have some ideas where people could cut back even more.

Eating Out = $140
We used to eat out at least once a week.

Using Online Bill Pay = $5, cost of envelopes, stamps and checks.
Not to mention an evening dedicated to writing out checks. I hated those nights. Now I pay each bill as soon as it arrives in our mailbox. Love it.

Taking my lunch to work instead of eating out = $100

Coloring my hair at home instead of salon = $60

Buying pop by the six pack rather than individuals at the gas station = $50
(I know, I know. I shouldn’t buy pop at all, so don’t bother mentioning it.)

Family Entertainment at home = $300
We used to go to Des Moines for the night at least twice per month. We would go to a movie, or just browse through the mall. At the end of the night, we would have spent at least $150 each time.

Cancelled Netflix - $10

Monthly Savings = $665

And that’s only the things I can remember!

I really don’t consider myself a frugal person. I think in order to be REALLY frugal, you need to have time to commit to it. But I work full time, and I don’t have tons of hours to research sales, figure out how to shop at Walgreens for almost free, make our own sandwich bread instead of buying it, and make laundry detergent. But what I am able to do makes a huge difference to the amount of money we have left over at the end of each month. I challenge you to take a look at what you are currently spending unnecessary money on.

Have a suggestion for the rest of us? Please share!