Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why Do I Talk About It?

I read a comment in the newspaper the other day about people who “brag about paying off their debt” and how wrong it was to be talking about it with others. I couldn’t NOT post about this guy’s comment. So just a few tidbits:

  • I don’t bring up finances or debt reduction outside of this blog, unless the other person brings it up first. A lot of people I know in real life are aware of my blog, so they ask me about money and debt. But it’s not like I’m going up to all my family and friends and saying, “So, how much debt do you have left?” If they are interested, they’ll read my blog. If they aren’t, they don’t have to.

  • I don’t blog about it to “brag”. Having debt, last I knew, is nothing to brag about.

  • I blog about it for three reasons. Number 1, I do it to keep myself on track. The temptation to spend money in our society today is overwhelming. Number 2, I like to meet other people who are also trying to get out of debt and build a financial nest egg. I’ve learned SO much from my readers, as well as other bloggers. And Number 3, I want to provide what encouragement I can to you guys. A debt-free life is way better than a life full of bills. I’ve lived the life full of payments, and now I’m starting to get a taste of what life will be like without payments. You cannot imagine how good it feels unless you’ve been there. I’m looking forward to that day when I don’t have to worry about any payments at all.

  • I have a feeling the guy who made that comment has a stack of bills to pay every month. He has no control over his budget, spends money as it comes in, and doesn’t have a plan for how he’ll pay for his retirement. Because if you are living (or are working toward living) a debt-free life, beating down someone who talks about it is not your thing. You know how hard it is to get debt-free, and you are excited to share in someone else’s joy at becoming debt free.

If you blog about it, share with the rest of us why you do it!