Wednesday, April 09, 2008

If you won't get rid of your credit cards, at least do this

If you are still using credit cards, I read an excellent tip tonight on Blueprint’s blog. He suggests you write your credit card balance on your credit card so that you have to look at the balance each time you use it. Brilliant! If I had a credit card, I would absolutely do this. But I don’t. And neither should you.

On another subject, I’ve given myself a project. My way of dealing with my Dad’s death is to step in and deal with the nitty gritty of the ordeal. I’m gathering paperwork, contacting various companies who need to be informed of his death, bombarding my family with emails filled with tons of boring financial information that I’m sure they couldn’t care less about, and that kind of crap. So my self-imposed project is to help all of you get prepared for the inevitable. I’m keeping track of all the information we have needed over the past few weeks. After I get my list put together, I’m going to post it. And then I’m going to mention it several times so that you will feel guilty if you haven’t gotten your family prepared. We’ve been fortunate enough to be able to locate all of Dad’s financial information (we think), but I’ve heard so many people tell me over the past few weeks, “If I died today, my spouse would be screwed!” So, let’s not be screwed, ok?

As for feeling guilty, have you researched your term life insurance yet? The general guideline is to have 8-10 times your annual income. Are you within that range?

Thanks so much for everyone’s support over the past few weeks. I’ve received tons of comments and emails from people I know and from people I’ve never met. I’ve saved each and every one. You’ve helped me get through the past few weeks. Grieving sucks, and that’s all I have to say about that tonight.