Thursday, May 22, 2008

How Much Debt?

Since January 1, we have paid off almost $8,000 of non-mortgage debt. The scrimping and saving is really working, and an unexpected tax refund nudged us up there a little more as well.

Most of our extra money comes from not buying crap we don’t need. As I’ve mentioned before, a lot of my expenses were work-related. Well, not really. They were more “lunch hour-related”. I used to run errands over every single lunch hour and grab a bit to eat as I was out running around. Now if I need to run errands, I buy only what I need and don’t pick throw any extra junk into my cart. And I very rarely buy lunch anymore. First of all, it’s just not healthy. Second, what a waste of money!

I won’t tell you exactly what our total amount of debt is, but I can see the end. Even when the mortgage is included, I can most definitely see the end. It’s really not that far off. The closer we get to the end of our debt, the more intense I become. I’m so excited to think of what we can do when we are debt free!!

New survey time! What is your current debt amount? Don’t include the mortgage. That’s another survey, another day. This is the debt on all that other junk – line of credit loans, student loans, second mortages, credit cards, car payments, etc.

Does adding that up make you sick to your stomach? If so, are you willing to sacrifice to change your situation?