Tuesday, May 20, 2008

More Than A Card

When Dad died, I received so many cards. However, I was in no shape to actually read them. I opened them, saw who they were from, skimmed the handwritten notes, and set them aside. I just couldn't deal with them.

Tonight I sat down with my bag of cards and read every.single.one. I read the card itself, the handwritten notes, and was able to really appreciate the thoughts and prayers that were included in those cards.

Whenever you send a sympathy card, write a personal note instead of just signing your name. I know it's hard to know what to say. Just write a funny memory, your favorite thing about the person, anything. Write something. Those words are what will help those people the most. Don't get me wrong - the cards are nice. But it's the personal notes that make the difference.