Sunday, September 14, 2008

Debt "Experts" Are Full Of Crap, according to moi

So apparently it's starting to be "hip" to be without debt. I'm down with that. The news is full of articles about debt. Unforunately, most of those articles are full of crap. Like this one, for instance, from the Des Moines Register's Business section.

For consumers, "it's OK to borrow for items that you know will last beyond the payment period, like a car, or a washer-dryer, or furniture," Iowa State University personal finance expert Tahira Hira said. **Please make note. She's a personal finance expert. At Iowa State. Where young adults are currently going to learn about how to be successful at life. Where my kids will probably go to college. I'm scared...

Borrow against income-producing property - "the ultimate in smart borrowing," said Gerry Neugent, president of Knapp Properties. **And, let's say, it doesn't produce any income? Then what?

"Debt is not bad," Iowa State University personal finance expert Tahira Hira said. "It's how we use it." For individuals, she said, "it's OK to borrow for items that you know will last beyond the payment period, like a car, or a washer-dryer, or furniture." **Good. Lord. This is EXACTLY the kind of attitude that gets people into trouble. Borrowing for furniture? Wait a sec...I just worked my rear end of to come from exactly that place, borrowing money for stuff for stuff I could not afford. I have no plans to go back there and now you are teaching people this way of life? So I guess go ahead kids. I mean, if you want furniture and a new washer-dryer combo. Apparently there's no need to wait until you can afford it.