Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Having a Life

Someone said to me this weekend, “I can’t agree with everything you are doing with your finances. I mean, you need to have a life too.”

This person was under the assumption that my family is suffering. Go ahead - ask my kids if they suffered this past weekend, due to our inability to spend a lot of money. We spend money on entertainment – just not as much as a lot of other people. Do we have to miss out sometimes? Sure. Our kids know what our goal is. They know that we don’t use debt and are working to pay off past mistakes. But that is the sacrifice part of getting out of debt. I hope they remember the sacrifices so that they don’t make the same mistakes we did.

By my new calculations, our sacrificing will have us debt free except for our house by March.

That means our family will have sacrificed a mere 20 months in order to improve our lives, the lives of Green and Three, and hopefully many generations to come. We are teaching a new line of thinking in our family – that debt is not the way to be financial secure.