Thursday, February 26, 2009

Making the Rounds in Texas

I'm in Texas this week and having a great time!

Today I spent the day in Lubbock visiting co-workers. I had a great day meeting everyone face to face rather than over email or messaging. Red Raiders are pretty nice people, even to a Cyclone.

Tonight I flew to Houston and got to have a VERY late dinner with my grandparents. Tomorrow will be spent with family all day. Should be a great day! Saturday morning we're back to Iowa.

Anytime you leave your home area, you pick up on the funny things about other parts of America. If there are any Texans out there, tell me if these are right or wrong:

  • It's not "pop" down here. It's "cokes". Except coke doesn't necessarily mean Coke. It usually means Dr. Pepper. Seriously, everywhere I look there's Dr. Pepper.
  • The street lights hang sideways. Iowa hangs them the long way - Texas hangs them on their side.
  • Pool Boy is along with me and spent time at the mall today. He could not believe how much jewelry was for sale! Apparently Texans like their jewelry.

Speaking of jewelry, I got a gift on my trip! A co-worker gave me two pairs of earrings and a necklace. I love all of it and will wear some of it tomorrow.