Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Illness Detector



As you can tell, I'm a wonderful artist. No, I am not for hire.

UPDATE!!
By time I got Green to the doctor at 3:15, his temp was 102.5 -- and yes, he has strep. Feel free to nominate me for Mother of the Year.

We’ve been having trouble getting Green (fka J) to go to school. School takes too long, people are bothering him, or whatnot. I really think he loves school, and from what I’ve heard he’s pretty popular with the other first graders. I don’t get it.

This morning started off with his usual rundown of the things that may be wrong with him and could possibly keep him home from school. He refused to get dressed, so I drove 3 to school and came back to deal with him. Lots of yelling on my part, whining on his part. He has a soccer game tonight so I even threw that out there. “If you stay home sick, you can’t play in your game tonight.” No luck. So I gave in and thought, ok, he must be sick. Called the school, called my office, cancelled our election party for tonight, the whole works. After I changed back in to my “not going to work” clothes, I sit with 3 and apologize for being upset with him. We had the whole crying wolf lesson too, and I told him that if he didn’t try this every single day then I would know when he was really sick. So I got his bed all made up on the couch and settled in for a sick day.

As time passed, he started to play with Buster, talk a lot, watched Space Jam, and just seemed like his normal self. So I questioned him, “If you really are sick, Mommy will sit here all day with you until you get better. HOWEVER, if you are not sick and you are lying, SANTA will know and GOD will know!”

I went downstairs to do something and he suddenly comes down the stairs. “Mom, you won’t believe this! Remember how sick I was an hour ago? I’m totally FINE now! It’s that crazy? I can go to school! Hey, can I ride my bike?” I stare at him – furious because I’d been snowed by my first grader, embarrassed because I had allowed it to happen, etc. So I tell him to get dressed and NO YOU CANNOT RIDE YOUR BIKE. I get him to school and come back home – mad.

I have to vent, so I call my friend to let her know that the party tonight is back on and give her the scoop. I tell too many co-workers about Green’s trick. Too late to drive into the office, so I decide to work from home. Get settled in for a day of working, and am able to work about 45 minutes. Phone rings.

Umm, Green3? Green is here and he’s crying. He said his throat hurts really bad and he’s running a fever. Could you come get him? CRAP “Yes, I’ll be right there.”

So is he sick or is he not sick? He lying next to me now on the couch, sound asleep. And he’s ok with missing soccer, ok with canceling the party, ok with going to the dr later this afternoon. He’s definitely sick. I'm getting to work on my new invention as soon as he's feeling better.


**NOTE** Check back after 10:00 tonight for my school board election results!!