Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ignorance at the Flower Shop

I was standing in line today at the flower shop. There was a guy in front of me. His bill rang up to $120.00. Holy Moly. So I peered around him to see what the hell he was buying. On the counter was a pile of white roses – 45 to be exact. He told the lady at the counter that he was buying them because he had made his wife mad. I thought to myself, “He’s going to be in even more trouble when his wife finds out how much he spent on those stupid roses.”

He paid for his bundle, grabbed the teddy bear that he also included in his purchase, and left. When I made my way to the counter, I said something to the effect of , “Wow. That’s a lot of roses.” Not that I cared, I was just trying to make conversation and whatever. The lady appeared to be nice. And then she replied with this comment:

“Well let me tell ya somethin’. Hispanic men – they spend money. You’d never see a white man coming in here and spending that kind of money.”

What kind of statistics back up an ignorant comment like that? And I don’t even know who should be pissed about what she said – hispanic men or white men? Is she saying that hispanic men throw their money around like there’s no tomorrow? Or is she saying that white men are cheap assess who don’t know how to treat a lady?

I think that’s the first time I’ve ever typed the word assess.