Monday, August 13, 2007

Got Food? Why, Yes We Do!

I’ve been wanting to make up weekly menus for our family for years. I never did it, simply because I was too stinkin’ lazy. Friend KP would ask me, “Why don’t you do a menu?” I would reply, “Because I don’t want to.”

I have finally put one together for this week and next. Sure, this will make me more organized. It will also make my ride home more enjoyable because I won’t be mentally going through the fridge and cupboards every night on my ride home from work. Also, we start school next week and the last thing we need to worry about is supper.

But most importantly, this is going to save us a ton of moola. Pool Boy just told me this morning, “We have no food in this house.” But amazingly enough, I was able to come up with two weeks worth of meals using all of the food we currently have in the house, plus purchasing only 9 items. I’m pretty sure I could squeeze another two weeks worth of meals out of the food we already have, plus a few items from the store. We have tons of food already on our shelves and our freezer – we just need to plan what to do with it. When we wait until the last minute to throw a meal together, we almost always end up driving to the grocery store to pick up a few things and most likely spending more money than is necessary.