Monday, August 27, 2007

I Love Me Some Free Online Bill Paying

A year or so ago, my baby brother said to me, "Hey sis. You use online billpay, right?"

Oh man. I knew this was one area I knew nothing about. It was on my to-do list to figure it out, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. So replied stupidly, "I'm sure some of my places wouldn't accept it. I mean, So and So Garbage Service? Ha ha ha."

He clearly thought I was an idiot. And now that I use it and know just how easy it is, I'm even more embarrassed about what an idiot he thought I was.

If your bank does not offer free online billpay, the first thing you have to do is switch banks. Yes, I would switch banks over such an issue. Then, you just log in to your online account and tell the system who you want to pay and how much. They'll take care of getting the check to whoever is supposed to get it. You can even set up scheduled payments. I only wish I knew this a few years back.

I paid some bills this morning and it took me less than 5 minutes and I didn't have to fart around with stamps, envelopes, paper cuts on my tongue, and THEN try to figure out just when I was going to get to the post office to mail them.