Friday, May 02, 2008

If you can't pay it back, pay it forward.

The support I’ve received over the past few weeks has been overwhelming. The people who reached out to me and our family got us through those first ugly days and continue to help us learn how to cope.

We’ve mailed out thank you letters, put a note in our local newspaper and said our thanks in person. But really – how on earth do you thank people for the kindness they’ve shown us? Without all of these people, who knows where our family would be today. A simple thank you doesn’t seem to be enough.

Since I can’t possibly pay these people back for what they’ve done, the best option is to pay it forward. I’m now a member of a “club” – adult kids who have lost a parent too young. I have a responsibility to reach out to others who are unfortunately now in the shoes that I was in a few weeks ago.

A family in my hometown is starting down the same journey as my family is on. My heart aches for them. I’ve written their kids a letter and will be mailing it to them today along with a book that I found helpful.

Whenever someone shows you kindness, pay it forward. Make the world a better place.