Monday, October 09, 2006

3 and His Friend Gerald

3 is in fourth grade, and they now have “manor buddies.” They visit the manor a few times a month to visit their buddies. They can just sit and talk or they can play games…whatever. 3 was “lucky” enough to have gotten hooked up with a cheery fellow named Gerald. Below is 3’s account of their first 30 minute visit.

3 - My name is 3. What is your name?

Gerald – Gerald

3 – Do you like to play games? We could play a game. They have checkers or cards.

Gerald – I don’t much care for games.

3 – Ok. Do you like sports?”

Gerald – I don’t like sports

3 – Do you like to watch television?

Gerald – No.

3 – I love to read. Do you read? What are your favorite books?

Gerald – I don’t read much.

3 – What is your favorite food?

Gerald – I don’t know.

3 - Do you have kids?

Gerald - Yes.

3 – Do you have anything you want to ask me about?

Gerald – No.

3 – ooooooookaaaaaay

silence for the next 28 minutes


My make believe confrontation with Friend Gerald:
Listen here, you old fart. My first born son walked his ass all the way down here to the manor to help break up your monotonous day. If you don't want to participate, then stay in your f**king room. He has made an effort to be your friend not once - BUT TWICE. He feels bad that you don't want to talk with him. He wishes he could have gotten "the guy who likes to play games" but instead he ended up with some chump who won't even carry on a conversation. I've told him to just put in his time and these visits will soon be over. I've also told him that MOST old people would love to have a child ask them questions about their past or want to spend a few minutes with them.