Monday, April 09, 2007

To Tell or Not To Tell

**UPDATED**
I started to tell him tonight. He totally buys the whole Easter Bunny/Santa/Tooth Fairy thing. I just could not break his heart, or mine, tonight. So this conversation will have to wait until a later date. Maybe before he leaves for college I'll tell him...

_________________________________________________________________

The Easter Bunny came to our house this weekend. He brought basketball cards, baseball stuff, clothes and sugar. Easter, like Christmas, has that magical feel that some mysterious creature had come into our house and left us the exact items we wanted.

I love everything about the Easter Bunny, Santa and the Tooth Fairy. I grew up with these three friends. Hubs did not, and that makes me sad. (No way, don't start up that argument in my comments section.)

I'm excited that the boys, esp 3, are still into these things. But now I'm also scared as hell. Because now I think it's time that I explain to him what the deal is. I can't let him go to middle school still believing, can I? I don't want him to be laughed at when he's sitting in middle school and he blurts out that he can't wait for Santa to come to his house.

I have tried very hard to make sure my kids are not naive. Hubs grew up in a very sheltered environment and when we were dating I was amazed at the things he didn't know. He'd never seen ET for God sakes! So I'm all about making sure my kids are "in-the-know". They've been to Vegas, they know Britney Spears shaved her head, they have their favorite Saturday Night Live skits, we often quote Dodgeball and Napoleon Dynamite, they collect Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, and whatever. Some think we are heathens, but I think we're fun.

So I will not send 3 to middle school being naive about this. And I'm more worried that if I don't tell him, he'll ask Green what he thinks and then we won't have any believers anymore. And heck, maybe he already knows.

Chime in, readers. Do I tell him or do I wait until he approaches me?